Monday, February 14, 2005

My friend The Smoker...

I know alot of people who smoke, it goes without saying it's part of my life as well as those people who I hang around with. So when a friend of mine who had been smoking for close on 13 years of his fairly youthful 25 years decided to quit, I'd thought I'd write about his experience ;)

I didn't expect him to quit so suddenly, I mean he had obviously said it now and again, but all smokers say they would like to quit... the reason they don't is beyond me. A part of me thinks that it's because they enjoy it, and although they know the harm it's doing to them, they have the mentality that they're just not ready to quit. Which is the case alot of the times. Especially when you are a student. I mean, this is the time in your life when you should be doing all the things you know you shouldn't be! So, as I was saying, he had mentioned it before and I remember going back a few years that he had actually gone a while without smoking but just started back up cos like I said, I think he just didn't want to quit.

So, last Wednesday, he wakes up and thinks "I haven't got any smokes... but I'm not going to buy any". I think the main reason for this sudden decision is cos he's started thinking about money recently. And considering they now cost about £5 for a 20 box, you can't blame him. He wasn't a heavy smoker, prob between 7-10 a day, if he went out then he'd have more. So, he didn't buy any, and hasn't, but I think on Thursday he took a sneaky couple of pulls of a friends cig. Other than that, I thought he'd be a shivering wreck, but he's not doing too badly at all. He's not using any of them Nicorette patches or gums or anything. He said its worst in the evenings after he's had a nice dinner or just about to go bed. But, once he's asleep, it's not like he wakes up in the middle of the night wanting one.

So, I say good for him, I hope he can keep it up. I know there are going to be nights and holidays he's going to go on with a lot of his friends (who still smoke) and he's going to be tempted. But, I suppose you can forgive him for maybe having one or two then. Long as he stays strong and the next day doesn't buckle and starts up again, or use every night in the pub as an excuse to have one because "it's ok to have one when you are out".... but it's going to be weird sitting in the pub and not having him smoking. Suppose he'll have more money to get the rounds in now though :)

I suppose the main reason for me writing this is for all those people who have a go at smokers. It IS a nasty habit, but what you have to understand is that it's an addiction. And although most of them wish they didn't smoke, alot of them like it too much to stop. I'm sure that most people have a habit which they wish they didn't have, but because they enjoy doing it, they carry on. Even if it's something as trivial as... I dunno, biting your fingers! So, unless they want to quit, there is not much point in trying to make them. I guess they'll do it when they feel like they want to. Just like my mate, I mean, I've been there when his girlfriends, friends and even people he doesn't know that well have been at him to stop smoking. And all he's said to them was "I don't want to"... which I kind of understood but other people didn't. And now, well, I definately understand what he was saying.


Good luck bro! Stay Strong.

1 Comments:

Blogger abcdefg said...

Well done to your friend mate!! I actually quit smoking more than 7 months ago. It came out of the blue, well, not really, but some heavy holidays and a girl influenced my decision. The fundamental bit after quitting is: 'stick to the reasons why you decided to quit smoking'. That's my advice to your friend.

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home