Sunday, February 27, 2005

Hip-Hop

I believe music is in your blood, or it's something you just listen to. If you don't understand what I mean by that, you're probably someone who just listens to music and appreciates it, but not really in to it that much. Galder said it best in one of his posts when he said that dance music is a part of his life as much as sleeping is. Same with me, only difference is, my love is hip hop. Before you jump to the conclusion that I'm a bad-boy bumping my beats in my ride, you got it wrong. I like ANY kind of music, and anyone that knows me knows how true this is. From Maroon 5 to Fabulous, and from Madonna to 50 Cent. I could write a really lengthy post about music but I'm going to stick to my true love, hip hop, and in particular, two artists.Tupac Shakur and Immortal Technique. This isn't going to be a background in to the artists, you can read about them in the links I've provided (and I strongly suggest you do)... these are just my thoughts. I hadn't heard of Technique before last week, and for me, Tupac is the greatest lyricist that was. There is a huge argument about who is better, Biggie or Tupac, but they were two different rappers. Rapping about different things, and for me, I could relate to Pac. People throw Eminem into the equation sometimes, and yes, he's a good MC, but he's just not as good as Pac.

Immortal Technique however, for me, is the only person I could even mention in the same breath as Pac. He isn't signed to a record label, he sells his own CD's, and his understanding of politics and the world around him is on another level to the likes of 50, Fabulous, and other commercial hip hop artists. He talks, he makes you see things differently, the way Pac did when he was first talking about police brutality, and the U.S. Justice system. Technique talks about terrorism, conspiracy theories against the U.S. government and the like. Sure some of songs, like Pacs are about gang-banging and drugs, but lets be honest, it is a part of their lives if not ours. Technique brings a sense of shock to what he's saying, a bit like Eminem, but as Em says it in a joking way, you can't help but think Tech actually means it. In the song
"Dance With The Devil" he tells a story of a ghetto kid and his dreams of being a gangsta. A touching story, and one that reminds of you how how Pac used to tell his stories in songs like "Tear Drops and Closed Caskets", "Soulja's Story", or "Brenda's Got a Baby". They were both very politically minded, understanding the lack of support the projects and run-down areas in America get from the U.S Goverment. Pac wrote "Letter To The President" and Tech raps with Mos Def on the best anti-Bush track I have heard to date called "Bin Laden". I could go on forever comparing the two artists, because for me Tech is on the same level as Pac. And he's the only one.

It's a very touchy subject, talking about the best, people always have different views, and alot of hip hop fans will disagree with me and say some of todays modern artist will never touch the likes of Gangstarr, Rakim or Big L. I have to agree with them, but then again, the likes of The Game, Eminem, 50, and Dre, are all up there lyrically. And with some of the songs coming out now from Shady/Aftermath, they are what Death Row was. But staying on track, artist for artist, and the two in my mind, Pac and Tech. If you had to choose one out of them, you would have to say Pac is better. But only because of the sheer number of tracks he's got under his belt. Every single one of them a good song in my mind. If Tech ever releases his 3rd album and it comes close to the 2 previously "Revolutionary Vol 1" & "Vol 2", we'll see exactly how good he is and if he can get better. Personally, I think we've only heard a snippet of what he's capable of putting out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home